It’s Monday which means its the start to a new week! Time to add on a small goal or action item to your healthy living game plan if you haven’t already. If you are stuck on ideas, I would use these seven ways to add veggies to your diet as this week’s goal. They are simple changes that won’t alter your diet drastically. Think of yourself as a toddler who haaaates veggies; you have to sneak in those veggies any way you can.
- While dining out: Try splitting an entree when you’re dining out, then order an extra side or two of veggies (sans sauces and seasoning);
- While ordering in: Ordering out for pizza? Try half & half toppings: order one half with grilled veggies like spinach/onion/mushroom/pepper & tomato, and the other half with your usual toppings. Ask for them to make it extra crispy so the veggies aren’t soft;
- Bulk up your recipes: Give your tomato soup or Italian sauce some extra density, nutrition and flavor by adding veggies like spinach, swiss chard, green pepper, zucchini and onion;
- Be prepared: Buy ready-made, pre-washed and bagged veggies like: lettuce, spinach, broccoli/cauliflower and shredded carrots. This makes it super easy to prepare a quick salad;
- Make Leftovers: Once a week stir-fry a large portion of your favorite veggies using your favorite oil & seasonings. Divide into several small portions that you can keep refrigerated for use during the week. These can be a topping for your favorite burger or sandwich, used as a filling for pita or tortillas, added to soups and stews or homemade pizza.
- Cut the carbs: Replace bread with whole green peppers or tomatoes stuffed with tuna or egg salad;
- Dress it up: Always keep savory dressings & dips on hand so it’s more likely you’ll reach for a salad or veggies. We rounded up some of our favorite dressings in this article on Balanced Babe.