I’m warning you now, pumpkin recipes are on my radar! Ever since Starbucks started marketing their pumpkin spiced latte in September, I’ve been cooking up a storm using our favorite fall ingredient. And let’s face it, fall wouldn’t feel like fall if we didn’t get to experience the flavors of pumpkin!
So with that said, my first recipe of many using the orange gourd is a dairy free pumpkin parfait using coconut cream, cashews, chia seeds and of course, pumpkin!
To create the “parfait” I combined organic pumpkin puree, cashews, chia seeds, almond milk and coconut cream. As I’ve said time and time again, cashews are the all-star ingredient to create dairy free substitutes. From cheeses to milks, cashews do it all! This recipe is obviously healthy in the sense that it’s dairy free, low sugar, bursting with beta carotene, omega 3 + healthy fats, and a teensy bit of protein.
To make my dairy free pumpkin parfait just a tad bit sweet I added 2 heaping tbsp of pumpkin butter to my mix. Since I’m a Trader Joe’s freak of nature, I found mine there (only 9g of sugar per serving which isn’t too bad).
The recipe is extremely easy to make (you literally just blend it all together), only 7 ingredients, and can be enjoyed not only for breakfast but also for dessert!
Dairy Free Pumpkin Parfait
Serves 2 | 15 minutes to make
1/2 can of pumpkin puree
1/4 cup cashews
2 tbsp chia seeds
1/4 cup almond milk
dash of vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut cream
2 heaping tbsp pumpkin butter
2 cups of dairy free store bought coconut yogurt
Coconut flakes to sprinkle
Pumpkin seeds to sprinkle
- Soak your cashews for about an hour.
- In a blender, blend the cashews, almond milk, and coconut cream until well mixed.
- Add the chia seeds, pumpkin puree,pumpkin butter and vanilla extract to the blender and blend.
To assemble the parfait:
- In 2 small glasses, create your first layer with a 2 heaping tbsp of the pumpkin puree.
- Add a big dollop of your dairy free yogurt of choice.
- Add another big dollop of pumpkin puree.
- Top with coconut flakes and pumpkin seeds and serve!
You can save these parfaits overnight in the fridge to take to work with you for the next day.
You can also create the pumpkin + chia seed puree and add it to your overnight oatmeal.