This DIY frankincense facial night cream helps me hydrate my skin after a long hot yoga session or epsom detox bath.
I’ve been experimenting with essential oils in my remedies over the years, and my current favorite is frankincense. I read somewhere recently that frankincense is used in meditation and prayer ceremonies because of it’s high vibe aroma (in incense form). So I’ve been dabbing it behind my ears when I practice my morning yoga sequence. I’m assuming this specific essential oil is used for prayer and meditation since it may have properties that ground and reduce stress and anxiety.
I apply frankincense in dabs behind my ears when I need to promote clarity within myself, or help calm my mind and uplift my spirits. For topical uses, I created a DIY frankincense facial night cream so that I can enjoy the scent as well as the beauty benefits!
Because of it’s potential therapeutic effects, I like putting Frankincense essential oils in my bath, body lotions, serums and of course my aromatherapy diffuser. Besides its heavenly aroma, it may have a slew o benefits and uses when applied topically such as:
- may be able to lower PMS cramps by massaging a blend of frankincense and cedarwood on the lower abdominal area
- relieves inflammation
- smooths the appearance of skin
- acts as an astringent
- contains anti-aging properties
- can improve skin tone
- helps with acne and blemish prone skin
There’s been other cool uses noted in various articles for frankincense incense and essential oil. Even for household purposes. Some folks burn frankincense incense when they want to deodorize a room. Maybe this is the scent high school stoners used in the 70’s to clear the obvious scent from their bedrooms -heh. You can also add it to your natural cleaning solutions to disinfect surfaces and counter-tops. If you’re a frankincense newbie, you’ll enjoy this easy beauty remedy using frankincense. I’m also including a quick run down of the additional ingredients so that you can get a better understand of what you will be creating!
DIY Frankincense facial night cream
- Cocoa Butter: Majority of the remedy calls for cocoa butter which is a rich natural cream that contains a slew of vitamins and minerals that help deeply hydrate our skin (and some say it helps with stretch marks). Some sources believe that cocoa butter also helps with scar reduction (which is good if you have pesky blemish marks).
- Sweet Almond Oil: Naturally boasts levels of Vitamin E, a major skin savior. It can also be used as an oil cleanser since it’s light enough to unclog pores when massaged into the skin and then rinsed off. I like using it to take off my mascara at night.
- Coconut oil: Due to its saturated fats, its another great ingredient to lock in moisture.
DIY Frankincense Facial Night Cream
- 1/2 cup cocoa butter
- 2 tbsp sweet almond oil
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 40 drops frankincense essential oil
Step 1: Blend the cocoa butter, sweet almond oil and coconut oil in a high speed blender.
Step 2: Once well mixed, add the essential oil and whip it again until light and fluffy.
Step 3: I would store it in a glass jar and keep it in a cool dry place. This amount will last you a while and you really only need to use it sparingly!
Do you have any other ways you like to enjoy frankincense? Share with us in the comments!