I am always interested in learning more about aromatherapy and various oils from exotic plants. My main reason is to test out various homeopathic remedies and beauty concoctions that are natural and said to be safe. There always seem to be new new plant extracts popping up in studies and articles that are providing interesting health benefits, and I recently stumbled upon clary sage oil. Here is what I found about this plant from Europe, and how its oil can be used for ageless beauty!
Benefits of Clary Sage Oil
- Antiseptic – protects open wounds and cuts from becoming infected
- Antibacterial – can kill off and prevent bacterial growth
- Reduces inflammation – Organic Facts discusses an ester called linalyl acetate that is found in clary sage oil. This ester is known for calming inflammation and skin irritations
- Keeps oily skin in check – clary sage oil is said to regulate oil production on the skin
- Essential oil use – when clary sage is used as a scent, it is believed to increase happiness, bring about an euphoric feeling, and even increase your libido
- Can smooth fine lines and wrinkles – according to Natural Society this oil strengthens the skin and fights off eczema as well as acting like an anti-aging serum
- Balanced Hormones – the Raw Food World notes that a study done in Korea shows that this oil balanced hormones by lowing levels of the hormone cortisol and increasing the hormone serotonin
How To Use Clary Sage Oil In At-Home Beauty Remedies
- If you tend to have dry skin (especially during this season), you can blend clary sage oil with unrefined virgin coconut oil as a great moisturizer.
- Blended in your body lotion to act as aromatherapy
- Diluted and used as a hair serum or hot oil treatment
I was also introduced to Elanveda, which is an Ayurvedic-influenced manufacturer that produces herbal remedies for medicinal and beauty uses. ELANVEDA’S skin serum, Skin Renue (which is anti-aging), contains clary sage oil as well as a whole plethora of other herbal oils such as Jojoba, Sandalwood, and Manula seed oil. I have just started using this oil myself and am in love with its calming scent. Elanveda is also giving away a skin renew anti-aging skin serum with clary sage oil to one Balanced Babe (hello win-it Wednesday!), so enter the rafflecopter to win!
If you are an avid herbalist or have done some research on essential oils yourself, what are your thoughts on clary sage oil? Does it work for you? What do you use it for?
Disclaimer: Elanveda provided me with complimentary samples. All thoughts and opinions are my own. * You should Always dilute essential oils before using as a topical treatment and test on a small area of the skin before use. Use oils in moderation, and do not use any oils when pregnant, on babies, or if you have any series infections. Keep all essential oils away from the eyes. Do not take essential oils internally. Always consult with a healthcare professional before using any herbal remedy especially if pregnant, nursing, or taking other medicines.
Main photo source: Organic Facts