Being 80% vegetarian, I am consistently coming up with ways to develop new and interesting recipes that have combinations of vital nutrients, amazing benefits, and an explosion of flavor.
After years of practice with seasonings, texture balance, and trial and error, I have been able to pair various vegetables together to make flavorful “vita bowls” for my meals (my name for a big bowl packed with vitamins). You will see that a lot of my recipes are simply a conglomerate of vegetables – to me, this is an effective way to get many vitamins and nutrients working together to keep our bodies healthy.
In this particular recipe, we can enjoy numerous benefits from the synergy of various nutrients from the ingredients. To start, the combination of B6 and magnesium (from the red peppers, portobello mushrooms) work together to lower anxiety. You can also see from this study that it helps sooth autism side effects. Iron (in the garbanzo beans and mushrooms) helps increase energy levels. This is because iron supports hemoglobin, which is the transportation of oxygen to the body through our red blood cells. If we don’t have enough iron in our system (especially important for when women are menstruating) we can feel generally more fatigued.
All of the ingredients in this recipe aid in preventing cellular damage. The phytochemicals (lycopene) and antioxidants (vitamin A and C) in red bell peppers, selenium in mushrooms, phenolic compounds and nasunin in eggplant skin, all work together to fight oxidative damage. These potent antioxidants listed above can help reverse cellular damage and prevent cancer.
With all that said, if you want to increase your energy and bring vital nutrients to every cell in your body, try this recipe!
- 1 eggplant diced
- 3 portobello mushrooms diced
- 2 red peppers diced
- 1 can of low sodium (rinsed) garbanzo beans
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup of greek yogurt (optional- if you are vegan)
- seasonings (to taste)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- In a large sauce pan, heat the coconut oil and saute the onion and garlic until translucent
- Add the red pepper and egg plant and continue sauteing for about 5-7 minutes
- Add the mushroom s, beans and seasonings (you can add 1/4 cup of Greek yogurt- optional if you are vegan) and continue sauteing for about 10 minutes on medium to low heat to lock in the flavor.
- Transfer to a serving dish, top with Greek yogurt (optional again) and mint, and serve!