Everyone loves good old fashioned tomato soup on a rainy day, and whoever is currently in Chicago, knows it’s been a rainy week! This recipe is one of my favorites for when I am prepping meals on a Sunday, or when I am too lazy to get creative in the kitchen. I also use my broth and flavour base (onion, garlic, veggie broth and seasonings) for all of the soups I make, and then decide what vegetable I want to be the star of the show.
Let’s get down to the nutritional benefits of this recipe: Tomatoes are packed with lycopene, beta-carotene, and all sorts of other good antioxidants and phytonutrients. All of these antioxidants and phytonutrients act as protection for our cells, cardiovascular support, anti-cancer and bones. Add in some garlic and you’ve got even more immunity protection. I typically add this soup into my diet when I feel like I’m teetering on the border of attaining a cold.
Vegan Tomato Soup
Total Time: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 4
- 1 white onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tbsp chopped basil
- 1 tsp sage
- salt and himalayan salt to taste
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (Found at Whole Foods)
- 1 lb of tomatoes (about 4-5 large tomatoes)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Chop and dice the onion and garlic
- In a soup pan, heat up the onion and garlic with the 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- After about 5 minutes, add the vegetable stock, water, and seasonings
- As that is heating up, chop your tomatoes
- Add the tomatoes to the soup bowl and let the whole mixture simmer for about 20 minutes
- Transfer the soup mixture to a high speed blender and blend until smooth
- Serve and enjoy!