Grapefruit, you either love it or hate it. I just so happen to love it so I’ve whipped up a refreshing summer vegan grapefruit avocado salad that is packed with healthy fats and beauty boosting ingredients.
Now if you’re a grapefruit hater, don’t run off so fast! You can replace grapefruit with any sort of citrus fruit like oranges or tangerines instead. I gave my boyfriend a bowl of this salad just the other day and little did I know, he doesn’t like grapefruit. I happily enjoyed it myself and made him another one with orange slices instead, so all was well in his world at the end of the day.
Grapefruit has been touted for its numerous health benefits, and I’m quickly going to highlight them so that you can get even moooore excited to make this salad for your next meal:
- Immunity protection and skin saver benefits from it’s potent amount of Vitamin C
- Grapefruit has been long known as a natural fat burner, simply by eating it! Here’s an article discussing a study that supports this.
- Grapefruits are low in calories – holler!
- Lycopene is also found in grapefruit, and if you remember my article about the benefits of lycopene, you’ll know that it is a fabulous skin nutrient.
- May lower cholesterol and even your chances of developing kidney stones.
Vegan Grapefruit Avocado Salad Weight Loss Benefits
This vegan grapefruit avocado salad is seriously a weight loss warrior. Not only does grapefruit have studies that discuss their weight loss support potential, the pine nuts in this bad boy do too! This study discusses how the fatty acid content in pine nuts helped release an appetite suppressing hormone which resulted in affected “appetite sensations” up to four hours after consuming them.
This doesn’t mean that you should be shoving pine nuts in your mouth in lieu of a regular balanced meal. It is indeed tempting though.
From looking at all the ingredients in my vegan grapefruit avocado salad, I’m coming to a conclusion that this recipe is packed with major health and beauty benefits. Filling up on this salad is nourishing you with ingredients that…
- Boost energy: From the magnesium content in the pine nuts,
- Boast anti-aging properties: There’s pretty much powerful antioxidants in everything that’s in this salad. Spinach, grapefruit, lemon juice, pine nuts, extra virgin olive oil.
- Weight loss support: As discussed above thanks to the pine nuts and grapefruit. There’s also great levels of fiber in the avocado to help keep you fuller longer. Holler.
- Supports Eye health: Both avocados and pine nuts contain lutein, which helps keep our eyes in tip top shape.
- May help with lowering blood pressure: AKA if you’re stressed out and ready to lose your sh*t, the magnesium levels in the spinach and pine nuts may help keep you from getting all riled up.
This salad is also nutritionally balanced since it has levels of healthy fats (from the pine nuts and olive oil), protein, and of course leafy greens.
So remember if you hate grapefruit, simply swap it out for oranges. They have similar nutritional benefits! Let’s dive into this recipe already…
Vegan Grapefruit Avocado Salad Recipe
- 1 grapefruit peeled and sliced/diced (or an orange)
- 1 avocado peeled and pitted
- 4 cups of spinach
- 2 handfuls of pine nuts
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Drizzle of balsamic oil (but don’t go crazy)
- Small little pinch of himalayan salt and pepper
- Peel the grapefruit and avocado, dice both.
- Add the grapefruit, avocado, spinach, pine nuts in a mixing bowl. Toss together.
- Drizzle the salad with lemon juice, olive oil, balsamic oil, and the little pinch of salt and pepper.
- Toss all ingredients well and serve with style.
So there you have it! If you try this at home, tag your pic with #balancedbabe on Instagram.