Some people think of deviled eggs as being packed with fatty mayonnaise and a few hundred calories in each bite. Well I have solved that problem and have whipped up a healthy recipe that is so scrumptious I just want to eat the whole tray!
- 12 hard boiled cage free omega 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- paprika, seasoned to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp greek yogurt (in substitution of mayonnaise)
- 2 jalapenos (for the spicy version)
- 4 strips bacon (I use Tofurkey Meatless Bacon – you can find this at a local Whole Foods)
- 1. Once your eggs are boiled and cooled, peel off the shells.
- 2. As you are boiling the eggs, saute the meatless bacon, and set aside.
- 3. Cut each egg in half and scoop out the yolk.
- 4. Set the egg whites on a serving tray and set aside.
- 5. Drop the egg yolks into a medium sized mixing bowl, and stir in the Dijon mustard, rice vinegar, Greek yogurt, bacon pieces, chopped jalapenos and minced shallots. Mix well.
- 6. Season with paprika, salt and pepper.
- 7. Scoop the mixture into each egg white, garnish with tiny slices of jalapeno, and serve immediately or refrigerate.
I use Greek Yogurt in substitution for Mayonnaise, but if you are a die hard mayo lover and do not want to alter the taste too much, I recommend using Veganaise.
This is an ideal entertaining appetizer and your guests will devour it, I promise!