Last week I had the pleasure of stopping by WCIU again to discuss a topic that I find entertaining and silly – wild natural celebrity remedies! Typically I’m on there to give more structured demos and how-to’s, but it’s always nice to mix it up a bit and have fun with our health (we can’t be serious allllll the time – you know?).
Here is what my research on wild natural celebrity remedies led me to, and some alternative remedies that I have tried myself:
- Beets for a lip tint: Celebrities have reported that by using a roasted beet bulb as a lip tint, they can achieve natural color with natural ingredients. Well, I put it to the test and it only lasted on me under 30 minutes. Why? Because I love the taste of beets and ended up just licking it off right away.
- What I use instead: Pacifica color quench lip tint. Ok I know that this is not a natural home remedy – but when it comes to giving your smoocher a color and do it with natural ingredients, simply finding a product is the way to go. Not only will it last, but you are supporting the cruelty free industry – yay!
- Grapeseed oil as a moisturizer: There was an article on Emma Stone stating that since her skin is so sensitive, she opts for grapeseed oil as a facial moisturizer. Now this is one I’m diggin’! I use oils myself for all sorts of beauty purposes and grapeseed is one of them. Of course there are the skin types that do not accept oils vs. creams, but if you have combination or dry skin, it can really get in there and nourish your skin.
- Apple Cider Vinegar as a facial toner: Scarlett Johansson is reported to use this home remedy as a facial toner because of its pH balancing affects. The verdict? Your face is gonna get a little bit.. stanky. Vinegar can also be quite harsh on some skin types.
- What I use Instead..Witch Hazel: Witch hazel is a superb natural remedy and acts as an astringent to help clear up blemishes and calm irritated skin – you can find it at your local grocery store..but make sure you use one without the alcohol!
- Beer as a Clarifying Rinse: Cathryn Zeta Jones in the past has used beer as a clarifying rinse and stylists weigh in and say give it a whirl! The alcohol can break up product build up, but be sure to rinse it out after you let it sit in towel dried hair for 5 minutes.
- What I use Instead..Baking Soda: I mix a couple tablespoons of baking soda with water and give my scalp a nice massage to break up any product buildup – it works just fine!
- Wine as a Bath Soak: Teri Hatcher from Desperate Housewives has been reported to pour a whole bottle of wine in her tub as an exfoliating and skin tightening treatment. What do I think about this? WHO WOULD DO ANYTHING WITH THEIR WINE BUT DRINK IT?! Let’s be honest — I’m a toooootal wine lover, I really am. Just the thought of pouring a whole bottle to let it soak into my skin is just sad, when I could be drinking and getting my antioxidants plus a buzz.
- What I use Instead..Milk: Is it bad that I don’t drink milk, but will use it as a tub? Now THAT’S a remedy that I’m talking about. Adding 2 cups of milk calms your skin and the lactic acid acts as a mild exfoliator, but there is not enough for it to cause irritations. To take it up a notch you can also steep in some chamomile tea bags for extra skin calming effects.
With that said, what wild natural celebrity remedies have you heard of? Share them with us and let’s have a laugh.