Are you yearning for the ethereal lightness and warmth of Spring yet? As I’m sitting here writing today’s article and sipping on my collagen coffee, I’m basking in the sunlight of this 50 degree day and taking in all that I can (since my weather app says it will fall back down to 35 degrees tomorrow).
As the weather is starting to warm up and transition into the Spring season. I’m starting to take note of the seasonal changes that I’ll be making to my lifestyle. One being: having more smoothie bowls.
Before I get carried away in my smoothie bowl recipe, I’ve been fascinated by and have been learning the philosophy and history behind Ayurveda: An ancient mind body medical system that started in India. According to Ayurveda, we are directly connected and one with the universe and nature. As nature changes and shifts, so should we. If we continually strive to balance ourselves according to natural shifts like changing seasons, then we can find more harmony within our own beings. So with Spring time feeling like it’s knocking on my door, I’m happy to embrace new change and rituals to further my Balanced Babe lifestyle.
Ancient Mind Body Techniques For Spring
As winter starts to dwindle down, many of us end up feeling heavy, lethargic and chronically fatigued. Could it be the lack of Vitamin D? The lack of oneness with nature? Possibly. Give these ancient mind body techniques for Spring a try and watch yourself bloom to a higher state of balance!
- Sweat: Throughout the winter we hold on to water weight and bodily fluids via mucus and congestion. To release this build up of moisture, simply sweat. Take heated yoga classes (I take 4 a week and I am completely obsessed), meditate in a sauna or steam room, or give yourself a night time ritual by soaking and sweating in an epsom salt detox bath.
- Practice breathing techniques: Try some simple breathing techniques to expel excess waste from your body and to feel centered and content. Vapour Beauty has a simple yet effective breathing technique on their blog that you can try today.
- Connect with Nature: As the trees start to bloom with flowers and leaves, connect with the sounds and feelings that nature brings. One way to do this is by practicing “grounding”: simply walking barefoot on the earth. I wrote an article discussing grounding principles a while back on BB that you can find here.
- Self Massage: In Ayurveda, self massage is such an important tool. It helps stimulate your lymphatic system, is a catalyst for natural detoxification, and encourages the circulation of your natural fluids. Create your own self massage ritual with your favorite natural body oils either morning or night for 15 minutes.
- Shed your diet: Transition from heavy foods to lighter foods. One way to shed our winter weight is by focusing on lighter and less dense foods. Create lighter soups, salads, smoothies and juices. Listen to your body and what it is craving, you may notice that you are starting to develop a taste for chilled or cold meals vs. warm and rich stews. My favorite way to transition my diet from heavy winter stews to lighter Spring/Summer dishes is by creating smoothie bowls.
Superfood Smoothie Bowl for Springtime Awakening
Today’s smoothie bowl is packed with energizing superfoods that will help you create more energy and clarity as we are transitioning into Spring.
What’s in it?
The smoothie base:
- 1 full frozen banana
- 2 cups of spinach
- 2 cups of cashew milk
- 1 heaping tablespoon of powdered super greens: broccoli, kale, chard, wheatgrass.
- 1 heaping tablespoon of bee pollen
- 1 heaping tablespoon of hemp seeds
- sprinkle of blueberries and raspberries
- In a blender, combine the banana, spinach, cashew milk and powdered greens and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and sprinkle the toppings over the smoothie.
- Serve and enjoy!
So, I hope these quick and simple rituals for Springtime come in handy as we transition into vibrant warmer months. Share with us in the comments below how you are preparing for Spring and let’s get inspired!