Healthy avocado black bean flourless brownies that are gluten free and vegan!
Ok ladies, a lot of us have a soft spot when it comes to chocolate. Especially during our dramatic time of the month. My personal weakness is chocolate chip cookies and brownies; if they are in the same room as me, it’s game over and my healthy eating for the week has officially been sabotaged.
Because I do have a strong love for chocolate, I wanted to think of sweets I could make that aren’t baked with processed flours and oodles and boodles of sugar. I’ve noticed that there has been a trend in recipes: vegan brownies, so I naturally did some research.
I came across so many recipes that all called for brown sugar. I know that sugar in general should be avoided, so when I do use sugar I choose coconut sugar. Even though coconut sugar is also not fabulous to consume daily, the manufacturing process is more natural than that of regular sugar. I also used organic cacao powder instead of cocoa powder. I even found out that avocados are great to use in baking as a substitute for butter or oil. Seriously, there are sooo many desserts you can make with avocado, it’s pretty exciting.
I’m assuming that we are ready for the recipe now that I’m making you crave chocolate!
Avocado Black Bean Flourless Brownies
- 1 can unsalted black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 medium sized avocado
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 flax egg (or if you eat eggs, 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites)
- 2/3 cup organic cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a baking dish with 1 tbsp coconut oi
- Place the black beans, avocado, flax egg, coconut sugar, and coconut oil in a food processor and puree until well mixed
- Blend in the baking powder, baking soda, cacao powder and blend for another 3-4 minutes
- Fold in the chocolate chips and pour the mixture in the baking dish
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes
- After 25 minutes, place knife in the mixture and if it is done it should pierce the brownie and come out with no residue.
- Cut into 15 bars and sprinkle with more chocolate chips