A lot of people think of beets as that weird food that their grandmothers tried to trick them into eating when they came to visit. Well, at least that's how it was for me! Beets were definitely not my cup of tea until I actually tried them in a recipe. Now I'm completely partial to this super-food.
Today's recipe is packed with so many health benefits, you neeeeeed to try it. Here's what will go on behind the scenes when you eat this salad:
1: Healthy Skin Hair and Nails: Beets have B vitamins (folic acid to name my favorite) and iron. This combination leads to better cellular growth which will make your hair luscious, nails shinier, and skin blemish free.
2: Cancer fighting Vitamins: The sunflower seeds in this recipe have a great source of selenium which is known to prevent the growth of cancer cells and helps repair cellular damage. There is Vitamin A & C in the beets, and Vitamin E in the sunflower seeds which when eaten together give you a kick of antioxidants which also protect and repair cellular damage.
3: Boost Metabolism: Calcium is known to boost metabolism, and Goat Cheese delivers as a great source of this mineral. On top of that, Goat Cheese contains probiotics which also can boost metabolism by aiding in proper digestion.
So now that you know the awesome health punch that comes with this simple recipe, let’s get on to the ingredients so you can reap the benefits today!
- - Package of pre-cooked beets (found at Trader Joes)
- - 1/4 package of goat cheese (9 oz package)
- - 1 handful of sunflower seeds
- - 1/2 cup of shredded spinach leaves
- - 2 tbsp olive oil
- - 2 tbsp raspberry balsamic vinegar
- - Open and drain the package of beets
- - Dice the beets into small cubes
- - In a mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients (excluding oil and vinegar)
- - Once mixed, add the oil and vinegar and toss
This is a simple and quick recipe that can be made to eat just by itself for lunch or dinner. It also pairs nicely with grilled skinless chicken, or mushroom meatballs.