When I’m craving carbs, I turn to sweet potatoes. I seriously wiggle like this pug in my seat when I see sweet potato fries on the menu. Being one of my favorite foods for fall and winter, you might find this healthy carb in various future posts on Balanced Babe. Since this starch is an all star this season, it would be nice to know some nutritional benefits. Let’s check it out!
Nutritional Benefits of Sweet Potatoes:
– Contains high levels of vitamins A and C.
– Has a great mineral blend, magnesium and calcium.
– According to NutritionFacts.org, a specific protein found in sweet potatoes may prevent various types of cancer.
One super simple sweet potato recipe that I love making is baked sweet potato chips. It is a perfect snack for a movie night and for entertaining purposes, and is ideal when I am craving comfort foods but still want to be mindful of what I’m consuming.
Sweet Potato Chips
Total Time: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 3
Per Serving 232 calories
Fat 9 g
Carbs 36 g
Protein 3 g
- 4 sweet potatoes cut into thin slices horizontally
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp zesty vegetable seasoning like (try Ludo Lefebvre or Williams Sonoma vegetable blend)
- sprinkle of himalayan salt and pepper for tasting
- Preheat oven to 400
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and cover with a thin film of coconut oil
- Slice the sweet potatoes and place them up in the baking sheet
- Sprinkle both sides of the slices with seasonings
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, flip the slices over with a spatula, and bake another 10-15 minutes or until golden and crispy