Last week’s recipe was a simple and versatile mushroom sauce, so I am incorporating it into a creamy and hearty (but healthy of course!) risotto recipe. This risotto is healthy because of three reasons: I am using quinoa instead of risotto rice, it is gluten free and vegetarian – with the option to be vegan – and is packed with antioxidants.
A great way to get excited about cooking is to understand what you are putting in your stomach and getting a good grasp of what each ingredient will do to benefit your health. Now aren’t you excited to make risotto that will be delivering a punch of protein, B vitamins, and antioxidants?! You should be!
- – 3 cups of cooked quinoa
- – 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- – 2 1/2 cups of homemade mushroom sauce ( Link in post )
- – 1/2 oz of Feta Cheese ( or vegan cream cheese if you want this to be a vegan recipe)
- – pinch of himalayan salt
- – 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- – If you already have the quinoa cooked, and leftover mushroom sauce, you simply blend the mushroom sauce with the quinoa and stir in the added nutritional yeast, cheese, and olive oil.
- – If you are starting from scratch:
- – Cook the quinoa by bringing 5 cups of water to a boil in a pan with the 3 cups of quinoa and simmer for 20 minutes until the quinoa is cooked
- – The mushroom sauce recipe link is within this post – that will take about 20 minutes as well.
- – Once the quinoa and mushroom sauce is made, follow the previous steps!
Risotto is a great dish to make for a date night ( hint hint- Valentine’s Day! ) and pairs nicely with baked black cod or salmon, or roasted veggies like green beans or asparagus. Now that you know the base of making a healthy risotto, you can play and experiment with your sauces and seasonings to give it different flavors.
One comment on “Gluten Free Mushroom Risotto Recipe”