What is the first thing that pops into your head when you think of the food, Irish moss? Yes, we think of a cliff in Ireland too.
This plant product is actually a sea veggie – who knew! It is a species of red algae that grows in the cool Atlantic waters along the rocky coastlines of Europe and North America. Exceptionally rich in nutrients and antioxidants, Irish moss is quickly gaining a reputation as the next big super food, and we are ready to try it for ourselves! As with some super foods, there are possible side effects if you use too much and you can read about that here.
Check out our list of Irish Moss Benefits –
- Eczema Friendly: Irish moss can now be found in natural beauty products because of its Vitamins A, E, F and K, content. This vitamin blend helps fight eczema and keeps skin smooth as ice.
- Thyroid Friendly: This seaweed is a great source of iodine which is important for supporting a healthy thyroid. A healthy thyroid means balanced weight, and stabilized energy.
- De-tangles hair: Irish moss can also act as an emulsifier which is why it is found in beauty products far and wide. When used in shampoo’s and conditioners, it can help keep our hair tangle free and extra smooth.
- Helps fight the cold and respiratory problems: Being a soothing agent for mucous membranes in our bodies, this plant may help respiratory problems including bronchitis and pneumonia.
- Can cure a hangover: Well we aren’t sooo sure it can totes cure a hangover, but it can help! Irish moss contains a great amount of iron so it can help refuel your body with this mineral since it is depleted when dehydrated (hungover).
Balanced Babe approved pics with Irish Moss
Balancing Overnight Cream
..and straight up Irish Moss
Remember to consult your physician before trying any sort of new superfood! Have you used Irish moss in any of your recipes before? Share with us!
(main photo source: theyarnmonkey.blogspot.com)