Now that the temperature is dropping and winter is upon us, it’s time to give our skin and face some extra attention. There is nothing worse than having dry, flaky, or dull appearance when we don’t need to. What’s most important is that we start to rebalance our whole system now during the last months of autumn to prepare for the uber cold winter months.
Not only will you feel less bloated and energized, your skin may clear up and calm down when utilizing these holistic practices. Let’s take a look at some of these simple ways to maintain good skin from the inside out.
Holistic Beauty Tips to Maintain Healthy Skin
1. Veggies, veggies and more veggies: Try focusing on eating a vegetable with every meal if you can. For example, at breakfast try adding spinach in your egg whites; for lunch, make a big salad with artichokes, asparagus and kalamata olives; for dinner, saute a bunch of kale for a side with whatever protein you make.
2. Take care of your liver: When your liver is trying to break down a large amount of toxins and it has no where to process them, the toxins can show up in the form of rosacea and acne. Your liver is extremely important when it comes to processing toxins, so it is important to make sure you are taking exceptional care of it. The biggest way you can protect your liver, and therefore keep your skin clear, is to reduce alcohol, caffeine, and processed foods.
4. Nix the sugar: Consuming too much sugar will cause a build up of inflammation in your body, which will reflect on your skin. The scary thing is that sugar does not simply come from desserts and sweeteners, but processed foods, white breads, and even alcohol break down into sugar once digested. The less sugar you can consume, the less irritation you will experience with your skin.
5. Keep calm, and zen your way to beautiful skin: Stress can play a big ole factor on your skins appearance. More stress = more cortisol levels, which does all sorts of damage to your body. Acne and blemishes can also appear when we are stressed, as told by the dermatologists in this Huffington Post article.
6. Make a homemade exfoliator: It’s important to exfoliate at least twice a week to slough off dead skin cells and prevent our pores from getting clogged. Here is a simple homeopathic remedy for a gentle exfoliator: 2 tbsp of sugar, 1 tbsp kefir, and 1 tsp of honey mixed together. Once mixed, gently massage into face for about 5 minutes, then rinse. If you don’t want to spend time creating home remedies, you can find natural exfoliates already on the market, but be sure that you do your research on ingredients and products first!
7. Hydrate: Not drinking enough water and eating hydrating foods can cause our skin to look older and even age faster. Make sure you sip on water throughout the day and you can add cucumber slices for added hydration; take a lunch break with herbal tea and include your favorite fruit/lettuce salad. The goal is to make sure you are hydrating your skin, especially during this season.
8. Put on a cardio burning DVD: Find a way to move at least 30 minutes a day, movement will increase circulation to every corner of your body, including your face. Consistent exercise can lead to a luminous glow.
When it comes to living holistically, it’s important to remember that how you lead your lifestyle, and what you consume plays a huge factor in your health and physical appearance. Trying to improve your skin with harsh chemicals and fragranced lotions can do more damage than good, it’s a good idea to look at other factors like what you are eating and your stress/sleeping patterns when trying to improve your skin tone or weight.