The best essential oils for your skin, hands down!
Essential oils are magical. Extracted naturally and directly from plants, they can be used for anything from cleaning the floors to enhancing skincare — and you should definitely consider including essential oils in your beauty arsenal. Essential oils are useful for any skincare condition or goal. They can assist with acne, wrinkles, smoothness, uneven skin tone, dry skin or oily skin.
Here are a few of the best essential oils for your skin care needs.
1. Patchouli Essential Oil: Patchouli essential oil may conjure up images of burning incense like you’re at Woodstock, and that’s okay because this oil could make others think you’re a time traveler with its anti-aging properties. The oil is great for encouraging new cell growth and smoothing out fine lines and wrinkles. Patchouli essential oil will also benefit acne, eczema, psoriasis and dermatitis, thanks to its antiseptic, antibacterial and antifungal properties. Include it in facial washes, lotions and more.
2. Tea Tree Essential Oil: Most people know tea tree oil for its outstanding antibacterial properties, which are great for surface ouchies that need an extra push to heal. Tea tree oil is also fantastic for banishing the bacteria that causes acne and healing wounds to prevent acne scars. It also regulates oil production, which may help acne breakouts become less severe over time. Tea tree oil can be used as a diluted spot treatment or in a facial wash.
Related Article: Tea Tree Oil – Holistic Ways To Clear Acne
3. Argan Essential Oil: Argan essential oil contains antioxidants to provide healing and moisturizing to irritated, damaged or dry skin. Many people include this essential oil in recipes for dry or chapped skin, to use on their lips or on other trouble areas, such as the elbows, hands or feet. Argan oil helps to soothe the skin and reduce inflammation on application. Include it in lotions, moisturizers or body butters.
4. Lavender Essential Oil: Lavender essential oil is basically the holy grail of essential oils for the skin. Its skin benefits include balancing oily and dry skin, improving elasticity, reducing wrinkles and fine lines, and zipping non-cysti zits.
Related Article: Lavendar Essence – How To Use The Healing Power Of Plants
The properties of lavender essential oil are many — it’s anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antidepressant, antiseptic, antibacterial and antimicrobial. It’s also detoxifying, hypotensive, analgesic and has sedative effects. Including lavender essential oil in your lotions can help soothe you before bed. Creating a homemade foundation or cleanser with this oil will balance your skin while healing it, and give you a great mood booster throughout the day.
Essential Oil Use
Essential oils contain the most volatile oils, so it’s important to not apply them to the skin directly or overuse them in general, especially on sensitive areas of the body. Overuse and direct application are the primary reasons that people report concerns with essential oil usage.
Here are some tips to keep in mind to use essential oils safely and effectively:
- Essential oils should always be diluted in a carrier oil, water or a homecare recipe and never applied directly to the skin.
- For sensitive skin, it’s recommend to dilute 3 to 6 drops of essential oil per ounce of carrier when it comes to facial use
- For normal skin, dilute 6 to 15 drops per ounce
- Always test the effects of an essential oil on your skin by diluting a few drops and spot-testing on the inner skin of your forearm.
- How many drops should be used? It depends on the recipe, but you’ll generally only use a few drops, not the whole bottle.
- If you’re prescribed any medication or facial cleansers, check with your doctor or dermatologist before using essential oils.
- Research essential oils and their properties for yourself before using an online recipe.
Eager to incorporate essential oils into your beauty routine? Here are a few recipes for washes, foundation, lotions and more:
- Patchouli and Lavender Anti-Aging Face Serum
- Tea Tree Oil Face Wash
- Tea Tree Oil Treatment for Zits Under Your Makeup
- Argan Oil Dry Skin Moisturizer
- Three Ingredient Calming Lavender Lotion
- DIY Customizable Smooth Finish Foundation with Sunscreen
We hope you enjoyed learning about the best essential oils for your skin! These can easily be added your daily beauty routine and are a natural way to keep your skin healthy and radiant. It’s easy to fall in love with essential oils because of their versatility and effectiveness. Next thing you know, you’ll be using essential oils all over your house!
About The Author: Sarah Landrum
Sarah Landrum is a freelance writer and career blogger, sharing advice on finding happiness and success in your career and in life. Passionate about both food and living a balanced life, Sarah is always on the lookout for healthy new recipes and ways to get fit. Share your favorites and check out more from Sarah by following her on Twitter@SarahLandrum