This crunchy lemon quinoa asparagus bowl recipe is vegan, healthy, and packed with a punch of nutrients!
In this mouth watering, vibrant recipe, I paired crisp and in season asparagus with nutty quinoa. This is the perfect lunch or dinner recipe to help you get a great dose of veggies with added flavor and nutrients. Lemon is one of my favorite flavor enhancers which I love adding in all of my Spring time vegetable dishes.
I’ve mentioned asparagus in recent articles to help reduce water retention (bye-bye bloat and under eye circles)! It is one of my favorite spring and summer vegetables to cook with, and I’m so excited to show you more renditions for using asparagus in the upcoming months.
As you can tell from the photo I use a larger ratio of asparagus compared to quinoa. I want the star of the recipe to be the vegetable, so I only add about a cup of cooked quinoa to this dish which serves two people. The quinoa and other ingredients are supposed to compliment and add even more flavor to the asparagus, plus you can eat this at lunch time without going into a major afternoon slump.
Crunchy Lemon Quinoa Asparagus Bowl
- 1 pound of Asparagus (I use 1 bunch from Marianos)
- 1 cup of cooked red quinoa
- 2 tsp of coconut oil
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable stock
- Juice from 1/2 of a large lemon
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- Dried basil and parsley for garnish
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- Bring a medium sized saute pan filled halfway with water to a boil, and blanch the asparagus for 2-3 minutes until tender, but still crispy. Once cooked rinse with cold water to stop it from further cooking, and set aside.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saute pan, add the diced onion and garlic and cook until translucent
- Add the cooked quinoa, vegetable stock, and seasonings to the saute pan and cook for about 5-6 minutes
- Add the cooked asparagus and nutritional yeast, and cook for another 3-4 minutes
- Serve and garnish with more nutritional yeast, or a seasoning of your choice (Parmesan cheese if you wish).
If you make this recipe, let me know! I want to know how others like this asparagus dish with quinoa as a complimentary ingredient. Enjoy!