Lentils are a plant-based eater’s best friend. They can be used as a base for meatless meatballs, in veggie burgers, and added to soups and stews. One of my personal favorite ways to cook with lentils is to add them to enchilada and taco filings.
Lentils are packed with fiber, they have around 18g of protein per cup, and have almost 100% of your daily folic acid needs! And ladies, folic acid has stellar beauty benefits as it helps repair damaged DNA meaning that when our skin is sun damaged – it helps us repair. Lentils also contain iron which helps carry oxygen throughout our bodies for increased energy, and assists with red blood cell production. Besides these benefits, lentils contain all sorts of additional vitamins and minerals and amino acids – all that give us preventative health benefits.
Today’s recipe uses lentils as a taco filling paired with quinoa and peppers. This recipe gives you all nine essential amino acids (between the quinoa + lentils) and antioxidants/caretenoids like lycopene, Vitamin C, and beta-carotene. For the taco shells I used gluten free spinach tortillas. As a reminder, when shopping for tortillas or bread products always make sure you get whole-wheat or gluten-free, never refined white flour.
The pomegranate salsa adds a slightly sweet flavor and additional antioxidants (pomegranates are antioxidant powerhouses) – so think of this recipe as a a ridiculously healing meal.
Pomegranate Salsa Tacos
- 1/2 sweet onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 green pepper
- 2 small red peppers or 1 large red pepper
- 2 tsp Adobo seasoning
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- pinch of cayenne
- 1 lime
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 avocado
- vegan sour cream
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- Cook lentils according to package instructions.
- Dice the onion and garlic, add 1 tbsp coconut oil to a pot and cook onion and garlic on medium heat for about 2 minutes until translucent.
- Dice the peppers and add the peppers to the pot, cook for about 3 minutes. Add all of the seasonings except for the cilantro. Cook for about 7 minutes, then add the cooked lentils.
- Cut the lime in half and squeeze 1/2 of the lime into the pot. Continue cooking for about 3-4 minutes.
- Set out the tortillas, and fill the tortillas with the taco filling. Sprinkle some pomegranate seeds on top.
- Chop the cilantro and cut open, de-seed and dice the avocado. Garnish with avocado, chopped cilantro, and your choice of vegan or dairy sour cream.