This is a hearty and healthy salad that I love to create for spring and summer gatherings. It’s refreshing, zesty, and packed with nutrients. At any given moment I typically have at least 3 cucumbers in my fridge to add to my green juices, salads, and even gazpacho soups. Cucumbers are an extremely hydrating vegetable, have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, and are high in Vitamin K.
Chickpeas are packed with dietary fiber that helps you stay fuller longer and helps move digestion along, they contain an adequate amount of plant-based protein, and have good amounts of minerals such as iron and magnesium, and vitamins like folate (which help with beautiful hair, skin and nails). These beans have also been linked to helping control blood sugar levels.
So combine these two healthy ingredients with zesty spices and flavors, and you’ve got yourself a pretty darn good summer salad!
Chickpea Cucumber Crunch Salad
- 4 medium sized cucumbers
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice (or juice from 1/2 medium sized lemon)
- sprinkle of garlic powder
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream (I like using Trader Joes brand, but you can find numerous if you don’t like using soy based alternatives) – OR, you can just use regular sour cream
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
- sprinkle of chili powder
- sprinkle of paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dice the cucumbers.
- rinse and drain the chickpeas.
- Dice the red onion.
- In a big bowl, combine the cucumbers, red onion, chickpeas, and sour cream. Toss together.
- Add the lemon, dill, chili powder, paprika, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss again until well blended
- Serve and enjoy!