Two things I absolutely love: sweets and feeling healthy. Oh and gluten-free vegan blueberry muffins.
You know that feeling when you indulge in something gooey, decadent, and oh so sweet? Guilty, bloated, and just a feeling like you overdid it.
I want to abolish these feelings that we associate with eating foods like sweets or savory comfort dishes. How can I do that? By making sweets and comfort foods healthy! Seriously, I want to have my cake and eat it too, dangit!
Recipes like these are the types that support my brand name, Balanced Babe. No one wants to have to cut out sweets for good and no one wants to deal with a boring dietary lifestyle. Recipes that are plant powered, nutrient dense, yet relate-able in the sense that it could taste like mashed potatoes or remind you of your favorite chocolate chip cookie, is my goal.
So my gluten-free vegan blueberry muffins definitely make this cut. They are dense, moist and taste freakin’ amazing. My secret ingredients? All healthy, baby. Well except for the brown sugar. But hello, if you’re gonna have brown sugar you better pair it with ingredients that are good for you. You know what I mean? Oh, and this recipe is completely egg-less. Holler to that!
And to make this recipe just that more incredible, it’s also gluten free. I used coconut flour and oat flour (certified gluten free oats) instead of refined flour. Some folks say that they’ve had bad luck baking with coconut flour, but MAN I don’t think these muffins would taste the way they do without it.
Also, did you know that bananas make for great egg substitutes in baking? Typically eggs are used for structure in baked goods, but when I use bananas instead I get the same result. I’m not sure if this is true for others, but it’s worked every time for me! I also used coconut oil instead of vegetable oil because coconut oil is just fabulous and between this and the coconut flour, these muffins taste flippin’ tropical.
Gluten Free Vegan Blueberry Muffins
- 1/2 cup of coconut flour
- 1/2 cup of oat flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large banana mashed
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tsp of pink Himalayan salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 6oz carton of fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Combine the coconut flour, oat flour, light brown sugar, salt and baking powder in a mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Add the mashed banana, almond milk, and coconut oil to the bowl and stir together until moist.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Take a muffin baking sheet and grease the muffin cups with coconut oil.
- Pour the batter in the 12 muffin cups (then enjoy the leftovers in the mixing bowl)
- Bake for at least 17 minutes, check the muffins and stick a fork in the center of a few. If the fork comes out clean, then it’s ready! If the fork comes out with some muffin on it, bake for 3 more minutes then check again.
These gluten-free vegan blueberry muffins taste so incredible when they’re warm, but I especially love the taste when I have one the following day after they’ve been chilled in the fridge. SO GOOD!!! Share on instagram or twitter with hashtag #balancedbabe if you make them!
05 comments on “Gluten Free Vegan Blueberry Muffins”