I have a confession. I haven’t owned a muffin baking sheet until LAST WEEK! Now that I have one, I’m amazed as to why I’ve never made muffins before. Not only are muffins easy-peasy to make, the recipe options are endless!
Now I don’t bake just any regular muffins. Our BB recipes are always nutrient dense, carry an abundance of benefits and taste down right scrumptshh.
So you better believe that yes there will be new muffin recipes poppin’ up throughout the year on here.
To start off my muffin extravaganza bonanza recipe collection, I’m presenting to you, breakfast chickpea spinach muffins! This recipe contains zero flour, and low carb / low glycemic. Not to mention it’s also packed with a punch of iron protein and vitamins.
Let’s break down the ingredients:
Eggs: since this recipe is completely flour-less, we are counting on the chickpeas and eggs to act as the binders for this muffin recipe. I’m not using any regular eggs in this recipe, I’m using organic free range and non-GMO Blue Sky Family Farm eggs. You can buy these at your local Jewel-Osco FYI!
When Blue Sky Family Farms sent me a carton of eggs to try in my recipes – I immediately knew that now was the chance to use my new muffin tin to make the ultimate breakfast muffin. Although this recipe only needs two eggs to make a batch of 12 muffins, I hard boiled the rest of the eggs to add to my salads, to make egg salad and to nosh on for snacking (these recipes soon to come!).
Spinach: the star of the recipe! If you love the taste of spinach, you will love this recipe. Packed with protein, iron and vitamins, spinach is pretty kick-*ass. I also personally love spinach since it’s packed with chlorophyll which is a total preventative health power food.
Chickpeas: I also love these muffins because once you eat one or two you will be full for a good couple of hours thanks to fiber! Like spinach, chickpeas are also packed with protein (who needs bacon in the morning when you have these protein packed muffins?). These beans also act as another binder of this recipe to help hold the mixture together.
Ready for the recipe?
Breakfast Chickpea Spinach Muffins
- 1 can of chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 package of frozen spinach (10 oz)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp paprika
- pink himalayan salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- Defrost the frozen spinach
- Rinse and drains the chickpeas
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Dump the bag of frozen spinach in a food processor with the two eggs, and pulse the ingredients together
- Add the chickpeas in the processor and pulse until blended
- Add the nutritional yeast, parmesan, paprika and salt/pep and pulse until blended
- Grease the muffin tin with coconut oil and place the muffin mixture into the sheet
- Bake for 25 minutes – after 25 minutes check with a fork or toothpick to see if the muffins are ready. You can do this by puncturing a muffin with a fork and if the fork comes out clean, your muffins are ready!
And voila!! Try these muffins at home and tell me how you like them! I like to sprinkle extra Parmesan cheese on top to give it an extra zest of nutty flavor.
Ciao Balanced Babes!
(Please note: Even though Blue Sky Farms provided me with the eggs to cook with, the recipe creation and all writings are my own)