We’ve all experienced it. Large and in charge – SORE and looming pimples. We aren’t talking simple blackheads here, we are talking cystic acne. The type of pimps (as we like to call them) that show up under your skin and are extremely sore to the touch and seem to neeeeever go away.
They always seem to appear at the most ridiculous times of our lives as well. Right before a hot date, on a Friday evening (thanks for effin’ up our whole weekend, acne), or when you have an important meeting. Lucky for you, we found some ways to clear hormonal acne holistically!
Basically, cystic acne has been known to make an appearance due to our hormones. Unfortunately, All and every type of hormone imbalance or issue can cause acne. This type of acne usually occurs around the mouth, chin, and jawline in adult women (again being cystic), and tends to appear or gets worse before menstruation and/or during ovulation. It’s usually accompanied by other PMS symptoms, and irregular periods. Just typing this is making us annoyed with hormonal acne!
What do hormones affect? Well pretty much everything! Your growth and development, metabolism, sexual function, reproduction, and mood to name a few.
Hormonal, cystic acne is usually caused by something called estrogen dominance; where your estrogen and progesterone are not in balance. Sometimes being due to having high ‘bad estrogens’ (from the environment like plastic). Oil production seems to be at a high during this time and can lead to even more breakouts – womp womp.
Even worse, when we experience cystic acne we stress ourselves out which can cause a little gang of pimps. I mean how much worse can it get?! We’ve all been there- and we are soo over it.
So the big question here..how can you clear hormonal acne? It starts from within!
- Focus on whole foods and reduce sugar and diary. These two food groups have been known to increase inflammation within the body which can cause acne breakouts. Try using almond milk in lieu of cow’s milk, and focus on other savory salty foods instead of cheese. Wait a week or two and see if this new diet routine clears up blemishes.
- Try a “detox” Focus on clean and wholesome foods that you can grow.
- Try a supplement! DIM (Diindolymethane) works by helping your liver to detoxify ‘bad estrogens’ from your body and promote good estrogen. Vitex works on your pituitary gland, and helps it regulate its own hormone production, which can get your progesterone and good estrogens back in balance. But remember, before starting any sort of supplement you must consult your physician first.
- Up fatty acids intake (foods like olive/coconut oil, nuts, avocado, and fish are great sources) These food groups help keep skin hydrated and supple
- Green Tea: Not only will sipping on green tea give you a natural energy boost. It’s strong anti-inflammatory properties can help squash out blemishes from within.
Small lifestyle and topical changes can help to balance your body’s system.
- Take a #&$*$#@ break! A lot of us are always on the go and immerse ourselves into way too much. This can cause a spike in our hormone cortisol which leads to all sorts of havoc within our bodies. The less stressed we can be, the better our skin will appear.
- Try using Rhassoul Clay as a mask or cleanser. This clay helps reduce oil production without completely drying out your face, and pulls any impurities to the surface for easy extractions.
- Dab with Tea Tree Oil or make an egg white mask: As you can see from one of our old post on clear skin remedies, there are so many at home solutions that you can do that will help clear up your blemishes along with other lifestyle changes.
So, try zenning out, taking a day off and focusing on wholesome foods along with these natural remedies. Let’s kick hormonal acne to the curb!