One thing I love to do is make tomato sauce from scratch. I’m talking fresh tomatoes straight from the vine, fresh seasonings, aromatic garlic and onion and my dairy-free cheeses and creams. Once I started making tomato sauce from scratch, I never went back to using canned ready to use sauces.
So today’s recipe is a simple pasta dish with creamy dairy-free tomato sauce – but instead of using refined white flour pasta, I found brown rice & quinoa pasta (I got mine from Trader Joes – but you can find brown rice noodles at local health food stores). Why brown rice pasta?
- It’s a source of complex carbs.
- You’ll get nutrients like b vitamins, magnesium, selenium, from the brown rice vs. *no nutrition* from simple refined white flour pasta.
Pasta dishes are always a go-to for me because they are extremely easy to prepare and the recipes can be very intuitive. Meaning that you can be creative with the sauces that you make, and simply blend it in with cooked pasta. And, let’s be real, pasta is not pasta unless you have some bomb @ass sauce – so I make sure I add a lot of creaminess to my tomato sauce because sauce just doesn’t taste like sauce unless it’s thick and creamy.
I love using nut milks and dairy-free cheeses in my recipes as I’m primarily dairy-free. So I used Blue Diamond Almond Breeze milk in my sauce, nutritional yeast, and Go Veggie vegan Parmesan cheese. I pretty much use almond milk in just about every dairy-free recipe that I create. I think I go through maybe a carton every 4 days between filling up my smoothies, protein shakes, sauces and more.
So let’s get onto the recipe, shall we?
Brown Rice Pasta With Creamy Dairy-Free Tomato Sauce
- package of brown rice or quinoa noodles (or whole wheat)
- 1lb of on the vine tomatoes
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup Blue Diamond Almond Breeze
- 1/4 cup vegan Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 of a white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2/3 cup white cooking wine
- pinch of: oregano, basil, pepper, salt
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- In a separate cooking skillet, heat up the coconut oil and dice the tomatoes. Add the diced onions and garlic to the skillet, cook on medium heat until transparent.
- Add the tomatoes to the skillet and cook on medium heat until the tomatoes start to get watery and simmer.
- Add the almond milk, parmesan cheese, nutritional yeast, cooking wine, and seasonings and continue to cook for about 10 minutes.
- Drain the pasta, add the tomato sauce to the pasta, serve and enjoy!
Disclaimer: This article is in partnership with Blue Diamond Almond Breeze. Recipe creation and creative direction are my own.