Eggs are getting a bad rep for their cholesterol, and it is totally unnecessary! The proteins in eggs are very digestable, and the iron and folic acid in the yolk is crucial for us. The reason why consuming the cholesterol in eggs isn't terrible for you is because there are low amounts of saturated fat (which really is a major role of corinary issues and are found as larger quantities in red meat). So, don't stress, egg lovers. If you keep your overall diet healthy and high in leafy veggies, nuts, fruits, fish and low in red meat, you can enjoy your eggs.
Now that I have revved up your tummies, and it is breakfast time somewhere in the world, let me show you how to make this stellar – and healthy! – breakfast egg dish.
- - 1 handful off spinach
- - 1 handful of arugula
- - 1/2 white onion
- - salt and pepper
- - three shakes from a turmeric sprinkler
- - three shakes of nutritional yeast
- - 1/3 cup of homemade pesto
- - 2 whole eggs and 1 egg white
- - coconut oil
- Dice the 1/2 onion and saute in a frying pan with coconut oil until translucent.
- Add the arugula and spinach in the frying pan, saute for about 2 minutes then add the nutritional yeast and turmeric.
- Saute all the ingredients in the pan for about 3-5 minutes until the greens are slightly wilted.
- Set the sauteed greens aside and cover with a bowl to keep warm.
- In the same pan, crack the two whole eggs and 1 egg white over the pan and let cook for 1 minute.
- Flip the two whole eggs so that the yolk remains in tact and runny making this a "fried" egg.
- Once the egg whites are cooked, season with salt and pepper.
- Place the eggs on top of the greens, then top the eggs with your homemade pesto, and serve!
- Once served, you can mix together the pesto, eggs, and greens to get a delicious mix.. The egg yolk mixed with the pesto gives the sauteed greens an extra burst of flavor.
Earlier this week I talked about my homemade pesto recipe. This is a perfect example of why you should make a larger batch so that you can use the leftovers in a great range of recipes!