Don’t look at me like that, I’m not talkin’ about da herb baby, I’m talking about the seed that comes from the industrial hemp which is produced to give you lots of fiber, and sold on the shelves at stores such as Whole Foods. There is a very miniscule amount (or none at all) of THC in hemp seeds; so don’t worry, it is perfectly safe to eat.
Anyways, I am so obsessed with eating hemp for a number of reasons, so let’s just dive right in to the awesome benefits and how you can integrate hemp seeds into your daily diet.
Beautiful Benefits of Hemp Seeds:
- Contains iron, magnesium, and fiber: Eating hemp seeds with your morning cup of yogurt can keep you fuller for longer since there is a large amount of dietary fiber in a serving.
- Comes with plant based phytonutrients: Since hemp seeds are plant based, they come with a punch of phytonutrients that help prevent disease and boosts overall health.
- Contains all the essential amino acids: This makes hemp seeds the ultimate source of protein for a plant based lifestyle. How much protein exactly is in hemp seeds? Well, 10 grams in just two tablespoons! These proteins are easier to digest than animal based proteins and even the protein found in eggs.
- Has a blend of B Vitamins and also Vitamin E: B Vitamins give you a boost of energy you can carry throughout the day, and Vitamin E is a great antioxidant that gives your skin a glowing appearance.
- Essential fatty acids such as Omega 3 & 6: This helps tremendously with skin irritations such as rosacea, and prevents dry itchy skin.
How to include hemp seeds in your diet:
- Mix them in with a parfait.
- Throw in with salads for crunch.
- Stir in with your green smoothie.
- Top your oatmeal with hemp seeds and fruit.
- TIP: I typically eat hemp seeds raw as the nutritional content is at its highest when not cooked or baked.
Some people even use hemp seeds for baking; if you know any recipes, please share in the comments and I will feature it in a future post!