Wow, it feels like just a week ago the weather was warming up here in Chicago, and now it’s already August! You know what that means … we are in full swing of bikini season; short shorts, tank tops, and beach days. This also means that we are showing more skin – which can be daunting/frustrating/scary all in one!
With that said, I’m excited to share a nutrient dense, easy, and bikini body friendly kale salad made by my gal pal, Everything Erica. This is not your typical chewy and tough kale salad, this bad boy is steamed to perfection and complimented with zest, crunch, and sweetness. Sensory overload!
I’m also excited to announce that the Balanced Babe brand is now launching new video content that can be found here, and on our webisode site, Be Balanced TV, which will be launching very soon! Our first episode features Erica who is the kick-butt food blogger behind Everything Erica and whiz in the kitch.
Everything Erica’s detoxifying kale and butternut squash salad: (30 minute salad)
- 1 bunch of kale
- 1 whole butternut squash
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 walnuts – fiber and full and vitamin E
- 1/2 cup shallots
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of cayenne pepper – rev up metabolism
- Turn on your broiler and roast cubed butternut squash for about 10-15 minutes
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and boil 1 bunch of kale for about 2-3 minutes
- Caramelize shallots in a pan (here is a recipe on how to do this)
- Drain the kale and in a big bowl, toss together all of the ingredients and serve!
What are the beauty benefits from this salad, you ask? Well let’s get to it!
- Kale is high in vitamin K and antioxidants, as well as minerals such as iron, manganese, and calcium
- Butternut squash is high in vitamin A, an array of B vitamins, and fiber
- Walnuts contain healthy fats to keep skin glowing and hunger at bay
So get your bathing suit out and your kale chopped – it’s time to hit the beach!