All my life I have been a chocolate lover, especially for chocolate chip cookies. Lucky for me I discovered cacao nibs right when I was about to banish chocolate sweets from my life. I can still enjoy my favorite indulgence, but without the stress of harmful sugars and I now know that I’m getting a great amount of health benefits from each serving. So let’s talk about the benefits of cacao nibs!
Cacao nibs are one of my favorite super foods for a number of reasons that I will list below, but first I want to talk about what they actually are. Cacao nibs are crushed cacao beans that have been peeled, and have a flavor similar to a chocolate covered almond. They are crunchy little “nibs” that are a tad bit smaller than M&M’s and are extremely addicting! Here are some reasons why I’m obsessed!
Related: Cacao Is The Newest Party Drug
Benefits of Cacao Nibs
– Packed with essential minerals such as: Magnesium- (which aids in digestion, can help keep stress hormones at bay, alkalizes the body, and keeps bones strong), iron -(which keeps our blood healthy), & zinc – (which is crucial for hair, skin and nails) to name a few!
– Powerful source of antioxidants: Cacao contains an antioxidant known as polyphenols which studies show helps prevent cardiovascular disease and cancer. Studies also show that cacao nibs may have higher levels of antioxidants than other well known super foods like goji berries and blueberries.
– Can improve our mood: Cacao has an amino acid, tryptophan, which helps the body produce serotonin, which is said to fight depression.
– Keeps our digestion moving: Cacao nibs are packed with fiber (around 9 grams per 1/4 cup) which help keep our bowel movements regular which can lead to better digestion.
– Packed with potassium: Cacao nibs contain potassium which is essential for proper cellular function and heart health.
How to incorporate cacao nibs into your diet? Easy!
I sprinkle about 1/4 cup in my morning parfait, mix some in with a smoothie, or I make cacao covered strawberries or nuts by simply melting the cacao and dipping the strawberries in the pot! How do you eat your cacao nibs?