We can’t be missing out on crucial Vitamin D and B levels this time of year when we are cooped inside all day from the cold. When we miss out on these vitamins, our energy levels can deplete and we end up feeling groggy and could end up getting seasonal depression. It is very important to consume the nutrients we are missing from warm sunshine, so I have put together a warm and comforting recipe that delivers the vitamins that you need, and then some!
Sweet potato is so important to have this time of year because of the fact that it has Vitamin D and B6. Its iron levels also prevent the feeling of grogginess, while its magnesium levels can mellow us out. So this recipe is pretty much an all around energy and mood booster!
- – 3 sweet potatoes: peeled and diced
- – 1 1/2 cups kidney beans
- – 1 1/2 cups black beans
- – 1/2 cup Almond meal
- – 1/4 cup Nutritional yeast
- – 1 tsp Chili powder
- – 1/2 tsp Vegetable roast seasoning
- – 3 Vine tomatoes
- – 1 white onion
- – 3 cloves garlic
- – 1/2 tsp cumin and curry
- – olive oil – for sauteeing
- – 2 tbsp olive oil
- – 1/2 cup of water
- – Fill a pot with 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Once boiling add the diced sweet potato and keep the water at a low boil until the sweet potatoes are very tender.
- – Meanwhile, dice the white onion, 3 cloves of garlic, and three tomatoes and saute in a pan coated with coconut oil until the onion is translucent.
- – If you are using canned beans, make sure you rinse them very well to wash away any added sodium or preservatives.
- – Once the sweet potato is cooked to tenderness, drain the water.
- – In the large pot with the sweet potato, stir in the sauteed onions, garlic, and tomato.
- – Add 2 tbsp of olive oil to the pot and keep the heat on medium to continue cooking.
- – Add the kidney and black beans, and stir.
- – Add 1/2 cup of water to the pot.
- – Add the 1/2 cup of almond meal and 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast to the pot, keep stirring.
- – Add all the seasonings (chilli powder, veggie roast, cumin and curry) and keep the mixture simmering for 20 minutes until the water has evaporated.
- – Serve and Enjoy!
I also want to add that this recipe is great to have post workout. The protein content from the beans will replenish you and help you stay lean all while promoting healthy digestion. You can double the ingredients to make larger batches for entertaining, or you can freeze the leftovers for a future meal.