There is no doubt that I love my Mexican recipes: lentil tacos, Mexican quinoa bowl, Mexican stew, and vegan enchiladas to name a few. Today I’ve made some nutrient dense vegan tofu tacos with Swiss chard wraps, and I can’t stop eating ’em!
Here are the beauty benefits from this recipe:
I used diced roma tomatoes in my taco filling to add fresh texture. Tomatoes are packed with lycopene which studies have linked to reducing the chances of cancer risks. Not to mention they are a great veggie to lower cholesterol and increase immunity with their antioxidants. Add peppers into the mix and you’ve got a total power house of vitamins in each bite. Bell peppers and tomatoes combined pack a considerable amount of Vitamin C and antioxidants to boost energy and keep our immune system healthy.
Now let’s talk protein. I tossed in white beans and firm tofu to bulk up the tacos, and they definitely come with a punch. White beans contain both insoluble and soluble fiber to get things movin’, and are a low glycemic index food. This means when eating my taco recipe, you won’t get a huge spike in your blood sugar since there are not any processed or refined carbs in the mix. Let’s get to the recipe!
Vegan Tofu Tacos
- 1 package of firm tofu (I used organic sprouted tofu)
- 1 package of frozen bell pepper and onion mix (I used Mariano’s brand)
- 1 can of low sodium white beans (I used Eden Organic)
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 6 Swiss Chard leaves
- Spices: Adobo seasoning , Chilli powder, Tumeric, and Paprika (all sprinkled for personal taste) – I typically use 2 tsp each.
- 2 limes
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast for garnish
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- In a sauteing pan, heat up the coconut oil and cook the bell pepper mix until cooked through.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for another three minutes.
- Drain and pat dry the firm tofu, dice, and cook with the mix for another 4 minutes.
- Rinse and drain the beans, add to the mix and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the seasonings, and juice from 1 lime, and let the entire mix cook for another 3 minutes.
- Rinse your Swiss chard leaves, set on plates, and serve the taco mix on the leaves.
- Top with nutritional yeast, juice from the second lime, and avocado on the side if you wish!