I don’t know about you, but I am naturally..pale. It must be my family’s German and Dutch roots: blonde hair green eye pale skin type of look. Thanks Mom and Dad for giving me my Casper the Ghost complexion (they’re gonna be annoyed reading this). To not look like a snow man, I use self tanning lotions from time to time. Not only does it give me a nice healthy glow, but we tend to look slimmer with a self tan – yes please!
There can be two problems with using self tanner though: streaks and staaaank.
For me, I’m more crazy about the smell. I can’t stand it when I smell my self tanner throughout the day or when I’m out at night. No one likes that smell and it’s a dead giveaway that you are fake n’ bakin’. Streaks are not my cup of tea either. No one wants to look like Tony the Tiger in a wig and platforms.
Another important factor I look for when finding the perfect sunless tan is a non toxic and certified organic. Our skin absorbs everything we put on it. With a slew of new beauty and cosmetic products making a debut constantly, it’s really important to be mindful of what you use in your beauty routine.
I must have been putting out this intent into the world (that I need a natural at home spray tan formula) and the Universe sent me Vita Liberata.
Vita Liberata is the first odorless tan that made its debut in 2007. In 2011 they became the first non toxic spray tan, and they even have a self tanning formula that lasts between 2-3 weeks! I’m currently wearing my formula now – it’s been a week and I still notice a nice hue. I’ve also been using their bronzer that also acts as a self tanner. I use it to contour and on my legs when I’m wearing a dress and after I wash off the powder, I still have a nice glow!
So, once you have your product in hand. It’s time to figure out how to achieve a flawless glow that won’t leave you streaky. I came up with some quick tips for how to prepare for your perfect at home glow.
Important notes for achieving a streak free appication to help you look slimmer with a self tan:
- Exfoliate: Right before you apply your tan, make sure you exfoliate your skin with a deep cleansing body scrub that is oil free. Do not apply any sort of lotion on your skin before you apply the self tanner.
- Then, use a dry brush: If you don’t know what dry brushing is, we have a nice little tutorial here. Now you don’t have to use firm pressure – simple light strokes will do the trick!
- Find a good tanning mit: I like this one from St Moriz. Sometimes I get lazy and don’t use a tanning mit to apply my tan, but I have to wash my hands multiple times to get the bronze hue washed off completely. If you want to play it safe, get a mit.
- Make sure you are freshly shaved. If you apply sunless lotion to your legs and have to shave them a couple days later – say bye bye to your tan.
- Let the solution soak in for at least 7-8 hours before you hop in the shower.
- Watch out for the skin around your mouth: For some reason, every time I apply my own spray tan and I rub evenly around my mouth, this area get’s extra dark. It may be because it’s dryer in the area than the rest of my face, but it’s not pretty. So apply lightly around your lips so that you don’t get an orange chin!
- Stay moisturized: They day after you apply your tan, make sure you are applying lotion to your body at least once a day to maintain the tan. Not only does this help your tan stay longer, but it prevents you from looking scaly.